I've been making little ID bracelets today... They're very sweet - very narrow little plaque with the recipient's name stamped into it. I'm using some letters I imported from the US (thrice occursed be the customs people, by the way!). The letters are all higgledy-piggledy. Love them!
Anyway, these require me to solder a few jump rings, chain, clasp etc. Nothing too taxing, but all the same needs polishing when done.
I learnt the hard way that the chain can wrap itself round the tool and snap and fly... Fast! Yow! I think they're not joking when they say you need safety glasses... I'm going to have to get some before I get thwacked in the eyeball!
So far no photos because one bracelet is in the post to my sister (should have photographed it I guess, but I didn't realise it would be the only success); one (mum's) snapped by tangling itself round my Dremel flying in my face, needs polishing and re-making; the final one (mine) has a manky chain, again from wrapping itself round the Dremel... Boo! Boo! If I can re-do them tomorrow I'll post the photos.
In the meantime, here are some top tips from a novice jewellery maker:
- The flat bits on ID bracelets need to be curved so they lie nicely on the wrist. If you do not have a bracelet bending plier, which I do not, then you can use one of two things:
A large mixing bowl - use the mixing bowl in combination with your trusty rawhide mallet like a giant dapping block! So long as you don't whack it too hard, you get a nice curve just right to lie on top of the wrist. This works with my bracelets as the ID tag bit is very narrow, with larger ones it might not work and you can use....
A wine bottle - if used gently with that rawhide mallet, great substitute for a bacelet mandrel. I've never had a bracelet mandrel so I could be totally wrong, but seeing as I don't know any better it works for me. The result is slightly more curved than the mixing bowl method. - Pickle.. Not as scary as you may think! Reduces polishing time enormously. Silly me for being scared of it!!
- Those hand stamped bits of jewellery you see around - it takes a lot and I men a lot of practice on copper to get those pesky letters to line up and still you get it wrong when you move onto silver and get nervous! If you ever think of doing it, invest in a large amount of copper first! Oh, and do it on a solid table...
- Maybe "they" are right about safety glasses...
Hopefully I will get the photos up tomorow in time for Monday's blog. If not, forgive me!
If anyone reading this knows how to get rid of black off my hands and nails.... please let me know! I've been using leather finger protectors but I have black ground into my fingers from polishing.
Happy Sunday!
M
xXx
P.S. I am not permanently scarred from the flying bracelet incident!
No comments:
Post a Comment